Sunday, December 28, 2008

A+ Stuffed Mushrooms

The long background to these stuffed mushrooms:

My honey bunny isn't overly intrested in eating healthy food. He could probably go weeks without eating any veggies beyond fried potatoes and a slice of tomato and a bit of lettuce on a burger. Not to say that he doesn't LIKE vegetables but that he doesn't make a concerted effort to eat them. The effort, then, is placed on my shoulders.

A few weeks ago we joined in with a few friends to get veggies wholesale from a local farmers market. Every week we get about a laundry basket full of a variety of produce for $15. It changes every week and you never know just what you're going to get. I LOVE it because it means we have lots of produce every week, you never know what so it's almost as exciting as a Christmas gift and since we often get something that I haven't used much of in the past, I have to branch out a bit.

This week we got a package of mushrooms. Mushrooms. I don't like mushrooms but my honey bunny does so I asked him what I might make with them. His response was stuffed mushrooms so tonight I tried some. He LOVES them!! Yea!! I tried some and the stuffing part was good but I still don't like mushrooms.


Here's the recipe.
8-10 fresh mushrooms
1 tbl spoon butter
2 tbl spoons minced onion (I got two recipes mixed and didn't use that much)
3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
1/4 tbl spoon worcestershire sauce
1/4 c. soft bread crumbs (I used 1 slice of bread)
1/4 c. shredded cheddar cheese
2 tbl spoons water
salt/pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350. Wash mushrooms quickly under running water. Pull stems from mushrooms and chop stems finely. melt butter in skillet over med-low heat; add chopped mushroom stems, onion and garlic. Saute until tender. Stir in worcestershire sauce, bread crumbs, cheese, salt and pepper. Sprinkle salt over mushroom caps and fill with sauteed mixture, mounding over top. Put 2 tbl spoons water in shallow dish and arrange mushrooms in dish. bake about 20 minutes. Serve hot.

This was one of those that was REALLY a big hit with him. He ate nearly all of them.

No comments: